Monday, May 18, 2009

Roasted Vinegar and Olive Oil Potatoes


Potatoes are something that both my husband and I enjoy. When you don’t cook meat you need something substantial in the meal and I frequently turn to potatoes for that feeling. I am always looking for new ways to make potatoes. Roasting any type of vegetable improves its flavor, in my opinion. I think when you roast a vegetable you evaporate much of the water it contains and therefore concentrate the vegetable flavor.
If you are thinking that this sounds like an odd combination I am going to guess you don't like salt and vinegar potato chips. Those chips were the inspiration for this recipe.

These roasted potatoes have a nice light acidic background from the vinegar without it being too overwhelming. You could use these roasted potatoes cold in a potato salad and it would be fantastic. Try using them in the potato and artichoke salad on this blog.

Roasted Vinegar and Olive Oil Potatoes
Makes 4 servings in a salad, 2 servings as stand alone side dish

Ingredients:

24 ounces of red new potatoes, but into bite size pieces
1 tablespoon of sherry vinegar
1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
¼ teaspoon of kosher salt
¼ teaspoon of black pepper, freshly ground

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees (convection). Toss the potatoes with the vinegar and allow them to sit for a couple of minutes so that most of the vinegar will be absorbed. Now, toss the potatoes with the olive oil and then the salt and pepper. Make certain everything is evenly distributed.

Roast the potatoes for 20 minutes and then check them for tenderness. If required turn the potatoes over and roast an additional 10 – 15 minutes. The actual cooking timing is dependent on what size you cut your potatoes and how crunchy you want them to be. I cut my potatoes about ¾ of an inch square. Obviously if you have children this is bigger than bite sized.

These are great as a side dish or can be used room temperature in a salad, as I am going to serve them tonight.

Comments:

Roasted potatoes are a popular item in our house. My husband likes to eat roasted potatoes hot out of the oven while they are still uber crunchy. I think they make a nice addition to an otherwise plain vegetable salad. Next time I am going to increase the vinegar by 50% in this recipe to see how that works.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails