Sunday, June 21, 2009

Spicy Tofu, Raw Cashew and Artichoke Dip or Spread


(pictured: Spicy Tofu Spread on Toasted Sprouted Hemp Seed Bread with Broccoli Sprouts)

I consider myself a recovering cheese addict. I practically worshipped at the altar of the cheese gods. We used to buy a lot of cheese at Costco, and that was for a family of two. So you can imagine how much cheese I have consumed in my lifetime. Goat cheese and ricotta were both frequently in my refrigerator. I loved the soft spreadable texture and how the cheese would snuggle the fillings into a sandwich. This tofu spread (or dip) functions in much the same way as soft cheese. The texture is not quite as firm due to the artichokes, but I like the flavor they add, so I give up a little firm texture for the added flavor.

If you are looking for ways to increase your consumption of tofu this is a great recipe to try. Many years ago my husband told me he would eat tofu provided it didn’t taste like tofu. I have become very adept at making tofu that tastes like other things.

Consuming Dairy products is not good for anyone’s health. If you look at the saturated fat content of all cheeses I think you will be surprised. Additionally consuming dairy has been linked to an increase in cancer. Even if you aren’t vegan, replacing cheese with tofu anywhere you can is a good idea, in my opinion.

Spicy Tofu, Raw Cashew and Artichoke Dip or Spread
Makes 25 (2 tablespoon servings)

Ingredients:

14 ounce of extra firm tofu, thoroughly drained
1 cup of raw cashews
1 cup of marinated artichoke hearts, drained
2 tablespoons of hot crushed peppers (wet hots)
2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
2 teaspoons of kosher salt
10 sun dried tomatoes
freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Directions:

Place everything in your food processor and puree until mixture is smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 43.39
Calories From Fat (51%) - 21.96

Total Fat - 2.63g
Saturated Fat - 0.39g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 227.15mg
Potassium - 136.39mg
Total Carbohydrates - 2.89g
Fiber - 0.71g
Sugar - 0.62g
Protein - 3.02

Comments:

This soft spread is good on bread as a mayonnaise replacement to hold the ingredients into your sandwich. Today I served it on toasted sprouted hemp seed bread with broccoli sprouts on top. This recipe is also good used as a dip for raw vegetables or dolloped on top of roasted vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails