Sunday, August 23, 2009

Balsamic and Garlic Roasted Tomatoes


(pictured: tomatoes before roasting)

This morning at the farmers’ market we bought a huge amount of tomatoes. I think we have about 50 Roma tomatoes to eat this week. Good thing we like tomatoes. After seeing the recipe Rose posted last week on her blog Dandelion, I knew I needed to make tomatoes this week. I have a few different ideas in mind for how to change the flavors of the roasted tomatoes that I am eager to try. If you are looking for another variation on this theme the veggievixen was also roasting tomatoes this week which you can see here.

This is my standard roasted tomato recipe. I do use my favorite 18-year balsamic from Napa Valley Naturals when I make these tomatoes and I think that makes a huge difference in the final flavor of this dish. That particular vinegar is aged in cherry casks and has a nice fruity sweetness that I love.


(pictured: roasted tomatoes waiting to be eaten)

Balsamic and Garlic Roasted Tomatoes
Serves 4

Ingredients:

6 Roma tomatoes
1 tablespoon of good balsamic vinegar
3 cloves of garlic, finely minced
¼ teaspoon of kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
6 – 8 fresh basil leaves - optional

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees using your convection setting, if available.

Cut the tomatoes in half from stem end down. Use your fingers to remove the seeds and pulp from the interior of the tomatoes (see uncooked photo). Place the tomatoes on a half sheet pan lined with parchment or a silpat silicon baking sheet.

Drizzle each tomato half with a little of the balsamic vinegar. Place some of the minced garlic in each tomato half. Season the tomatoes with salt and pepper.

Cook the tomatoes until they reach the desired level of doneness for you. I roasted mine for three and half hours.

Move the roasted tomatoes to a serving platter. Julienne the basil and sprinkle it over the roasted tomatoes. The tomatoes can be served hot, warm or cold. I think they taste best when room temperature.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 43.87
Calories From Fat (8%) - 3.58

Total Fat - 0.42g
Saturated Fat - 0.06g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 129.02mg
Potassium - 496.39mg
Total Carbohydrates 9.5g
Fiber - 2.53g
Sugar - 5.95g
Protein - 1.97g

Comments:

This very simple dish was everyone’s favorite at dinner this evening (yes, I took a poll). I am always surprised when the simple dishes are the best received.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails