Thursday, September 17, 2009

Chocolate Mousse - Reduced Sugar Version



Today I decided to run with scissors and modify a “sacred recipe”, the tofu chocolate mousse. My husband loves this recipe and will be horrified that I changed it until he tastes the revised version. When I get recipes “right” as he calls it, he doesn’t like me to play around with them. Sometimes I can’t help myself especially when I working to make things healthier.

This version uses less agave which make is healthier. While I prefer agave to sugar, I don’t like my husband to have any more sugar than necessary since sugar feeds cancer. I substituted some of the agave for stevia and the sweetness level is fine. The cocoa powder was reduced a little since cocoa is a little bitter on its own. Alcohol is also cancer promoting I decided to remove the alcohol from this version as well. Alcohol brings flavor so I added mace to this version to pump up the flavor I removed with the alcohol.

Even with all the changes this recipe still works and the nutritionals were improved from the prior versions. Now I need to perfect my low sugar, low fat whipped cream and all the dessert requirements at our house will be met.

Chocolate Mousse - Reduced Sugar Version
Makes 5 small servings

Ingredients:

12.3 ounces firm silken tofu, low fat
2 tablespoons agave
2 scoops stevia powder
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 pinch kosher salt
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon espresso powder
1 pinch mace
2 ounces dark chocolate

Directions:

Combine tofu, agave, stevia, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla, espresso powder and mace your food processor or blender. Process until combined.

Melt the dark chocolate (in a double boiler or in your microwave on 30% power). Add the dark chocolate to the tofu mixture and process until completely combined.

Put the tofu into serving vessels, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 94.79
Calories From Fat (38%) - 35.73

Total Fat - 4.44g
Saturated Fat - 2.38g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 119.65mg
Potassium - 111.33mg
Total Carbohydrates - 11.55g
Fiber - 2.31g
Sugar - 0.64g
Protein - 5.56g

Comments:

The mace adds an interesting background flavor to the mousse that more than compensated for the missing alcohol. Substituting some of the agave from stevia worked fine in the end result. The mousse is still a rich, decadent dessert. My husband would eat the chocolate mousse everyday if I would make it for him. Don't be surprised if this disappears as quickly as you make it.

2 comments:

  1. I can't get over how creamy and glossy your creamy-style dishes turn out. It looks so perfect. Like the recipe you had for the dill veggie dip a couple posts back.

    Looks good. I think you could be on Top Chef.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose,

    You are just too nice.... but I love it. Thanks!

    I think the fat in the chocolate is what makes this mousse so glossy. As to the creaminess I think that is the five minutes it was in the food processor and making certain the chocolate was completely melted before adding it.

    The dill and tofu dip was also in the food processor for a while too, so that might be the secret.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails