Thursday, September 24, 2009

Favorite Health and Nutrition Books



I love to read about health and nutrition. As my husband can attest, I am obsessed with feeding him healthy food. The problem with my health obsession was that with two degrees in finance I had no science in college so I really was starting at ground zero regarding nutrition. Not one to let something stop me I dove right in and read every book I could get my hands on regarding health, nutrition and cancer. I am one of those nerdy people that always read endnotes. When a book has 50 plus pages of scientific endnotes I am much more likely to read that book. Over the past five years there have been a few books that stood out to me in terms of the quality of information and research.

I was having an off line conversation with someone regarding the health and nutrition books I have learned the most from and wanted to share the list with everyone. Here are what I consider my go to books:

- “Anticancer” by David Servan-Schreiber, MD, PhD, great information about lifestyle changes you should make to prevent and/or fight cancer
- “The China Study” by T. Colin Campbell, PhD, if this doesn’t change the way you eat nothing will
- “Food: Your Miracle Medicine” by Jean Carper, a well researched book
- “Eat for Health” by Joel Fuhrman, MD, a classic book everyone should read
- “Eat to Live" by Joel Fuhrman, MD, this one started me down the vegan path
- “Life Over Cancer” by Keith Block, MD, indispensible if someone you love has cancer

Some of these books are current and others are older, but all of them contain good information. If I had to choose two books it would be “”Life Over Cancer” and “Eat for Health”. However if you can pick any of these up at the library I hope you take a look at them. Each has a different style and focus but all of them contain excellent information. The book by Jean Carper was definitely ahead of its time. I have had this book for at least a decade and still use it as a resource when I have a question about a particular food.

Do you have any favorite books on health or nutrition? What are they and why do you like them? I know I would like to know and I imagine others are also curious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails