Monday, October 26, 2009

Potato and Bean Cakes in a Pool of Red Sauce Topped with Almond Feta



This is something I dreamed up last night when my husband wanted a snack. I hadn’t intended to put it on the blog but he liked it so much that we both had it tonight with our salad as dinner. Since this was good enough for my husband to have twice in two days I decided that made it blog worthy.

The potato cake and almond feta work really well with the red sauce. I like the combination of crunchy with smooth, hot with cold and sweet with sour. This dish hits all my culinary hot buttons. I hope you like it as much as we did. Here is how I did it.

Potato and Bean Cakes in a Pool of Red Sauce Topped with Almond Feta
Serves 2

Ingredients:

¾ cup basic red sauce
2 potato and white bean cakes
4 tablespoons of almond feta
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely minced

Directions:

Place ½ of the sauce on the bottom of each plate and top with a potato and white bean cakes. Microwave until hot.

While the potato cake is heating combine the fresh parsley with the almond feta.

Top the hot potato cakes with the almond feta. Serve hot or warm.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 223.73
Calories From Fat (26%) - 58.73

Total Fat - 6.65g
Saturated Fat - 0.75g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 324.9mg
Potassium - 946.87mg
Total Carbohydrates - 28.71g
Fiber - 5.35g
Sugar - 3.51g
Protein - 9.58g

Comments:

This recipe isn’t a nutritional powerhouse, but having something like this occasionally probably isn’t going to hurt anyone. I love combination of flavors and textures. The tomato sauce is sweet from the tomatoes and spicy from the red peppers. The potato and white bean cakes are mild and crunchy and the almond feta is a little sour from the lemon and salty. Overall I was quite pleased with combination and will be looking for more uses for potato cakes in the future.

For those of you that have made the almond feta you may notice that the color of mine is not as white. That is because I have begun using the almond pulp that is leftover from making almond milk. It seemed silly to throw away the pulp and then make more for almond feta over a few flecks of almond skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails