Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Healthy Banana and Cocoa Smoothie



This smoothie was inspired by a comment Brigid left a couple of days ago. It sounded like such a good idea I decided to give it a try. Brigid, great call. We loved this smoothie.

You may notice that I added Brazil nuts to this smoothie. I did that for the selenium. They should have been on my add-ins list in my why smoothies post. I am going to go back and revise that post to include them. If are looking for more detailed information on why selenium is important see this post.

Both the hubby and I enjoyed the flavor and texture of this smoothie. It kept us full for a few hours until we were at The Natural Market yesterday (where it is tradition for us to grab a hummus wrap to share). Here is the smoothie we had yesterday morning.

Healthy Banana and Cocoa Smoothie
Serves 3 (or a double for the hubby and a single for me)

Ingredients:

2 bananas, peeled
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 tablespoons wheat germ
2 tablespoons raw sunflower seeds
2 tablespoons freshly ground golden flaxseeds
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon powdered ginger
1 teaspoon molasses
3 Brazil nuts
1 ½ cups water
6 ice cubes (or as many as you need to create the texture you want)

Directions:

Place all the ingredients in your blender and process until smooth. If you don’t have a high powdered blender (like a Vitamix) I would suggest adding the ice a cube at a time.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 210.56
Calories From Fat (42%) - 88.65

Total Fat - 10.46g
Saturated Fat - 1.82g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 9.72mg
Potassium - 478.93mg
Total Carbohydrates - 29.04g
Fiber - 7.14g
Sugar - 11.11g
Protein - 5.71g

Comments:

This smoothie reminds me of dessert. It is rich with a definite banana and chocolate flavor. The add-ins blend into the smoothie and you can’t tell they are there. Dan is still amazed by this fact. Each serving of this smoothie contains 185mg of phosphorus and 100mcg of selenium and tastes great.

Unrelated note:

I have a few things to accomplish today before my hubby gets home from work. I will be back later with a recipe or two.

I picked up some beautiful baby bok choy and snow peas yesterday at Wegman’s that may make an appearance this evening. After dinner out last night I am looking forward to making my own food this evening.

I hope you are all having a great day.

11 comments:

  1. Hey, that's great! I will have to try this. I love banana and cocoa powder in smoothies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious. I sometimes add brazil nuts to smoothies too. I have all the ingredients for this, so I will be making it later today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brigid,

    Thanks for the suggestion the other day. My hubby really enjoyed this. And ... he didn't think the "added nutrition messed up the flavor at all" as he so eloquently put it.

    Janet,

    This really reminded me of dessert, only a much more healthy version. I did consider adding a medjool date if it needed the "sweetness" but we thought it was fine. I guess it was because our bananas were nice and ripe.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. We often add banana and cocoa powder to our smoothies. Now, I'm mainly feeding them to kids as a healthy treat, so you can see why the cocoa gets added in. It is delicious with peaches and/or berries added as well. We often add flax seed, but haven't tried nuts yet. I keep seeing that in your ingredients, and will have to try it soon. I have to admit that nuts are one healthy food that I have a hard time keeping on hand. They are too expensive for me to by a lot at a time, and they get used up quickly in a family of six. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious!! I would suggest freezing your banana first..I find it makes it colder, thicker and adds richness....Mmm.. can't wait to try this one I just bought organic cocoa and now I have something to use it in!

    Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aisling,

    Little ones and husbands seem to have similar taste in food. My hubby loves the combination of banana and chocolate. I would prefer mostly fruit or veggie (no cocoa), but I need to keep the hubby happy so he doesn't rebel and eat steak or something worse.

    I add the brazil nuts for their selenium. I have also made smoothies in the past with walnuts, or peanut butter if you prefer. We also keep our nuts in the freezer to keep them from going bad. It also keeps the hubby and I from snacking on them so they last longer.

    Natasha,

    Thanks for the suggestion on the frozen bananas. I use frozen bananas in the summer when it is hot, but when it is 30 degrees outside I like my smoothies, cool rather than ice cold. But others (like those in the South) may want really cold smoothies now so I really appreciate the suggestion. Sometimes I forget it isn't freezing everywhere in the world now.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this smoothie looks and sounds so healthy and yummy! I bet my son would love it, can't wait to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect timing... I have two very ripe bananas I was pondering what to do with, and now I know! This looks wonderful (and especially pretty in that peppermint-rimmed mug!), we will toast the New Year (and you) with this tonight! (Ringing in a New Year with a vegan chocolate smoothie has got to be good mojo, don't you think?) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laurie,

    Hmmm, your comment made me think of peppermint extract. Maybe I will make some peppermint hot chocolate this weekend. Sounds yummy doesn't it?

    I would say toasting the new year with vegan chocolate smoothie has to be good mojo. And .... you won't have a headache the next morning. ;)

    talk to you later,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  10. i kind of look forward to my own food also whenever we go out. i always want more of one ingredient (like lettuce) to make the meal less heavy and and then take home half.but i really just enjoy being with the husband, i know you feel the same way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Michelle,

    Dinner out is normally too heavy for us as well. But ... you are right I just like to spend time with my hubby.

    Have a great NYE,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails