Thursday, March 18, 2010

Green Tea Linked to Increase in Oral Health


Is there anything green tea can’t do? I write so many posts about the various health benefits of green tea I may have to change the name of the blog. As many of you know I love my green tea. Both my hubby and I drink it all day long. I am sipping my second cup of the day as I write this.

According to this recent analysis of 25,000 people there is a reduction in tooth loss in those that drink green tea. Studies have indicated that the catechins in green tea inhibit the oral bacteria associated with periodontal disease. This is not very surprising since there was another recent study linking a reduction in oral cancer with green tea consumption

This is another study in a long line of studies that indicates that green tea may just be the healthiest beverage on earth. Given all the studies that link green tea consumption with a reduction in many forms of cancer it has become an important part of our lives.

Personal Notes:

As many of you know I adore my green tea. Pictured above is my beverage of choice, a double green tea with fresh sliced ginger, and vitamin C powder with dry roasted edamame. Both Dan and I have this at least three times a day. For those of you that are new readers I wanted to highlight a few things that I do in relation to green tea.

When choosing green tea the Japanese varieties contain more EGCG, we buy matcha. To get the maximum benefit from the tea it is important to brew it for 10 minutes and then consume it within two hours as the antioxidants deteriorate with time. Vitamin C powder is added to keep the EGCG available longer in the body so more of it can be absorbed. We add ginger for taste, antioxidants (gingerol) and for its anti-inflammatory properties. We consume dry roasted edamame with our green tea because soy and green tea have been shown to have a synergistic effect.

Is this a little bit of overkill? Maybe. But my theory is that if we can develop little habits like this we provide our bodies with things it needs to stay healthy or heal every few hours.

5 comments:

  1. I seriously want to drink teas. I know that green tea is healthy, but it makes me have to GO if you know what I mean. I drink sooo much water and already spend a great deal of my day wearing a path down to the restroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather,

    I know what you mean. It has the same impact on me. I make my tea double strength by using two bags instead of one in a mug. It reduced the amount of fluid and seems to help a little with the bathroom break issue. I hope that helps. ;-)

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiffany,

    You are very welcome! I am glad you enjoyed it. You may want to do a search on green tea on my blog when you have time. I written many posts on this topic with links to articles on the health benefits. Sounds like you would find the links interesting.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not only does it help oral health, but numerous other health issues --
    matcha green tea powder is the most potent tea nature offers!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bartholet,

    I am going to assume you aren't a regular reader or you would know I frequently write about the health benefits of green tea. It is our favorite beverage.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails