Friday, April 16, 2010

Quick Pickles

Part of our dinner last night was a very quick sweet and sour pickle. My hubby is not fond of vinegar so I dilute it with water to make it more palatable for him. I would use straight vinegar if there were just for me. This is so simple it really doesn’t require a recipe but here goes anyway:

Quick Cucumber Pickles
Serves 4

Ingredients:

4 small cucumbers, cut in half and thinly sliced
½ cup vinegar (any type of light colored vinegar, I used champagne)
½ cup water
Stevia, to taste (I used 6-1gram scoops)
Fresh cilantro, minced, to taste (I used about ¼ cup)

Directions:

Heat the water, vinegar and stevia until about body temperature. Place the cucumbers and pickling solution in a jar. You are heating the vinegar so the flavor will penetrate the vegetable more quickly. Refrigerate until needed. If the liquid doesn’t cover all the cucumbers turn the jar over periodically so all the cucumbers are submerged for part of the time. I made these about 30 minutes before dinner but sooner would not be a bad thing.  When you are ready to serve drain the pickles and toss with cilantro.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 20.49
Calories From Fat (4%) - 0.9

Total Fat - 0.13g
Saturated Fat - 0.04g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 4.82mg
Potassium - 197.84mg
Total Carbohydrates - 5.67g
Fiber - 0.6g
Sugar - 1.74g
Protein - 0.73g

Comments:

You can jazz this one up many ways. It is really good with some rough chopped peanuts on top. I also like to infuse the pickling liquid with other spices depending on what I am serving them with. These are not too sharp or too sweet. I like to use them on top of sandwiches, or flax crackers with nut cheese. They are also good in salads or on an appetizer tray.

Unrelated notes:

Today was a typically Friday at our house. Checking on my elderly parents and running a few errands to get ready for the weekend.

The weather was glorious most of the day in the mid 80’s with a nice breeze and low humidity. I decided it would be a great idea to go out to dinner tonight and dine al fresco since the weather was so nice. I have been researching new restaurants for the last couple of hours. So what happened do you imagine? Well about 5 minutes ago it started raining. There is front coming through. So much for dining al fresco.

Now our dinner plans are completely up in the air. I may be posting something later from a restaurant or something from here. At the moment our dinner plans are a big question mark. I hope you evening plans aren’t being messed up by the weather. I will be back later with a dinner update, or some sort. Talk to you all soon.

11 comments:

  1. Oh, fun, we love pickles but I've never made any! I will have to try this!

    So your hubby doesn't like rice and he doesn't like vinegar. I assume he won't be getting a bottle of rice vinegar for his Father's Day gift, then? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really quick pickle..loved the procedure..thanks so much for sharing..have a great weekend:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I think you should name these "Quick Pickles" "Quickles"! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so crisp! What a nice and easy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lalo,

    This is a very simple method. I use it often because it is so easy. Your name is much more creative than mine.

    Nithu,

    I hope you like it. Indian pickles are always so flavorful and complex. This is much more simple.

    I hope you have a great weekend too!

    Dreaming,

    Thanks. I hope you like it. The cucumbers do stay crisp.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  6. These looked so good in your post yesterday...thanks for the recipe...I love anything pickle-related in any way. A

    nd I do think you should call them Quickles...great idea Lalo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use white wine vinegar for my pickles! I also add fresh herbs sometimes!!! These look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with the others--I've been collecting quick-pickle recipes lately, but haven't tried one yet. Does the vinegar smell up the house as bad as they say? I'm worried for my roommates, but SO tempted!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rose,

    You are very welcome. I thought you would like this since we both like vinegar. I can't wait to see what you do with the recipe.

    Brandi,

    I have used many different vinegars for pickles. Apple cider vinegar works well too.

    Jenn,

    Since the vinegar is only warmed and not simmered there is almost no smell. I don't think odor should be a problem for you.

    I hope you all are having a great evening! We just got back from dinner so I need to write that post before we turn in. Be back shortly.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Alicia! I love cilantro :-) I see in our local grocery advertisements that seedless cucumbers are on sale starting tomorrow at the store, so this will be made this week for sure!

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  11. Courtney,

    I hope you like them as much as we do. :-)

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails