Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Quick Cleaning Post: Natural Soft Scrub


I do not like to clean. It is one of those necessary evils in my opinion. I also don’t like using toxic cleaners in my home. Years ago when the cancer first appeared my first question was why? The doctor said it was probably exposure to a toxin. A toxin? How could that be, we weren’t exactly exposed to anything toxic, or so I thought. When the doctor said it could have been something as simple as a food preservative or dye in our food, that was all I needed to hear to make some big changes. That was the beginning of our transition to clean natural food and cleaning products.

I thought about posting this because I have been cleaning today. I make a natural soft scrub that I use to clean my kitchen sink, stove and bathroom fixtures. I posted the original version here. Since then I have started making large batches at a time. I have a big stainless container that I pour about a cup of baking soda into. To that I add some environmentally friendly liquid soap and stir until it is a thick somewhat liquid texture. Once the texture is right I add tea tree oil. The tea tree oil is included for its disinfecting ability. I also happen to like the fragrance of tea tree, which is a bonus. This mixture will last for months. If it gets a little thick over time add more soap and stir. It is that simple. I like that it is natural and non toxic and you don’t need to use much to get things clean.  I use this on a plastic scrub sponge and it works much better than baking soda alone.  It also rinses away easily if you don't use much.  It only takes about a tablespoon to clean my bathtub.

The non toxic aspect comes in handy when you have three curious felines that want to “help” you clean the bathroom. If you are a cat owner you know what I mean about feline help. Our felines seem to supervise everything I do.

I need to get back to cleaning. Sigh..... I wanted to share the change before I forgot to mention it again. Talk to you again soon.

18 comments:

  1. I make a few cleaners too and add in lavender as it's supposed to be a disinfectant as well (and it smells good). One recipe for a softscrub I have uses borax. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather,

    I would love to read about your homemade cleaners if you wanted to post them on your blog, hint, hint. LOL. ;-)

    talk to you soon,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great. Homemade cleaners are the best:) I use baking soda and a fresh lemon to clean my stove, but this looks like it's wonderful for sinks and the tub!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janet,

    I like the idea of baking soda and lemon. I assume you dip the lemon into the baking soda and use the lemon to scrub. Is that right? I bet that would make a great cutting board cleaner too.

    thanks for sharing what you use, :-)
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, that's exactly what I do. Never thought to use it on the cutting board, that's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janet,

    I currently use half a lemon dipped into kosher salt on my cutting board. Tonight I will try baking soda instead. I love blogging because it is such a great vehicle to share ideas like this. :-)

    Thanks for the inspiration,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's why I love blogging too, and I am always inspired by you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Janet,

    Awwww, thanks! *blushing* That is too sweet for words.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol my own binky doesnt liek it when i clean, or read or eat...lol sharing is caring is his motto:)

    what you wrote in the first paragraph really scared me, i have a whole bunch of body stuff,lotions, hair stuff, that are in a box that i need to go through to see if they are toxic or not. right now i am mostly using only non-toxic earth friendly stuff.
    talk to ya soon Alicia

    michelly and lil ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michelle,

    I am sorry that I scared you. But you are still young and have time to change before anything goes wrong. Additionally according to the PhD that wrote "The China Study" says cancer can be reversed through diet. It has been proved in animals and is suspected in people (although not clinically proven). Ever heard of spontaneous remission? It seems to happen most often with people that make serious diet and lifestyle changes. ;-)

    big hugs,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this sort of thing. Thanks for sharing your formula. Dr Bronner's and baking soda are as far as I go with cleaning products...the tea tree oil is a great tip.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rose,

    Glad you enjoyed this. :-) This is my go to cleaner. I do also use vinegar and sometimes washing soda.

    talk to you later,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds great, Alicia...so does Janet's idea. I use store-bought natural cleaners, but I really want to start making my own. I'm going to try this next time I clean the shower! Thanks!

    xoxo,
    LJ

    ReplyDelete
  14. I use vinegar too; it's great for cleaning my little critter houses as well as other things.

    ReplyDelete
  15. LJ,

    Initially I always bought cleaners. But after a few years I started playing around with making my own. They really are easy to make, not to mention much cheaper. That is always a benefit. This is the same cleaner I use for my sink and when I burn something in a pan. It works great.

    Congrats again on your new "baby". I can't wait to see what else you make in Buffy. :-)

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rose,

    Vinegar is very popular here too. I pour a cup down each drain every week to try to keep the germs down. It also seems to keep them open. Do you use vinegar to disinfect the critter houses? I also keep it in a spray bottle and use it for disinfecting counters and bathroom fixtures.

    talk to you later,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ok, I am not the only hippy out there then. I make my own tooth whiteners and also disinfectants.I do not use borax at all. I know how to make laundry soap and dryer sheets of you need some!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Brandi,

    I would love to see your recipes. Please post them the next time you make them, if it isn't too much trouble.

    LOL, not the only hippie. That is a little how I feel sometime too. LOL.

    talk to you later,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails