Saturday, June 26, 2010

Mashed Millet and Cauliflower


This is a recipe that I haven’t made in more years than I can remember. It was something that I used to make often a long time ago. When I had it again today I couldn’t remember why I stopped making this. Clearly that was a mistake. The final dish is reminiscent of mashed potatoes only it is a whole grain and vegetable side dish in one. I use it exactly like mashed potatoes topped with gravy. The final texture depends on cooking the millet and cauliflower until they are completely soft so they will get smooth in your food processor. Here is what I did:

Mashed Millet and Cauliflower
Makes 6 servings

Ingredients:

1 cup millet, dry
½ cup yellow onion, peeled and minced
3 cup water
1 small head cauliflower (approximately 4 cups of florets)
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast (to add buttery flavor)
white pepper and salt to taste

Directions:

Combine millet, onion and water in a covered saucepan and bring to boil. Now reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes. You want the millet to be very soft and absorb the water.

While the millet is cooking steam the cauliflower florets until they are very tender.

Place the cauliflower into your food processor and pulse until smooth. Add the cooked millet and onions and nutritional yeast and process until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings as you desire.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 148
Calories From Fat (8%) - 12.45

Total Fat - 1.49g
Saturated Fat - 0.26g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 25.76mg
Potassium - 287.65mg
Total Carbohydrates - 29.06g
Fiber-  4.73g
Sugar - 2.17g
Protein - 5.14g

Comments:

We think this makes a wonderful substitute for mashed potatoes. Sometimes I crave comfort food and this is a great dish for those times. It also reheats well in the microwave.

If you want to make this really decadent drizzle a litte truffle oil over the top and finish with truffle salt.  Amazing!  Assuming you like truffles that is. ;-)

Unrelated Note:

Since Dan will be out of the office a little while next week due to his trip to Indianapolis he needed to work today. This means I had the day to myself, except for the company of the felines that is. Being by myself I thought the mashed millet and cauliflower was a great idea for lunch and it was. But I also have leftovers for later this week which makes me very happy. ;-)

I want to spend a little more time I the kitchen today. There are a few odds and ends left over from the last trip to the farmers market that I want to use up today. These items may turn into soup since that makes great leftovers for lunch. For now I want to get back into the kitchen and decide what I am cooking.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend. I hope to be back later today with an update.

12 comments:

  1. I love mashed cauliflower! Did you really top it with gravy? I would love to see your gravy recipe :-)

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney,

    I loved mashed cauliflower too. Adding the millet makes it more "substantial" somehow. I did not add gravy today. However, there will be gravy on some of the leftovers. ;-) I will definitely post the recipe when I make it in the next few days.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea of the millet. I recently discovered that I love smashed cauliflower. Hope you are having a great evening!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather,

    If you like smashed cauliflower I think you will the millet addition. It gives the dish a more potato like texture. I had forgotten how much I liked this until today. This is a modification of the recipe I used to make a lot in tHE 80's. Definitely an older but a goodie.

    I hope you are having a good weekend too. Enjoy your pizza Saturday. ;-)

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to make and love this, too. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrea,

    As soon as I tasted it I wanted to kick myself for not making this regularly. Sometimes I get so focused on making new things I forget old favorites. I need to make it a point not to do that. *rolls eyes* Thanks for letting me know it wasn't just me. :-)

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, is this some cool hippie recipe?

    Sounds yummy...I'll have to try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rose,

    LOL, what a great idea for a name. Sorry I didn't think of it. The original recipe came from a cookbook published in the 70's or earlier. I can't check because I don't have the book any longer. I started making this when I was in college.

    talk to you later,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm...I've been thinking about what to do with the cauliflower I got in my share last week...I think I'm making this tomorrow! Thanks for the inspiration, Ali!

    xoxo,
    LJ

    ReplyDelete
  10. LJ,

    This is an oldie but a goodie. I hope you like it as much as I do. :-)

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG, Ali! This is INCREDIBLE! It's all the comfort of mashed potatoes with none of the guilt or bloating! I'm totally going to make this for Thanksgiving next year...and nobody will be the wiser!!!

    xoxox,
    LJ

    ReplyDelete
  12. LJ,

    I am so happy to hear you enjoyed this! Thank you so much for letting me know. :-)

    hugs,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails