Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Frenetic Wednesday

My day completely got away from me today and I ran out of time to write a proper post. On the bright side I did have a few things go really well which I wanted to tell you about briefly, but will go into detail about tomorrow.


My morning started with fresh vegetable and fruit juice. As you can tell this one contained beet.  ;-)

I made the coconut soymilk today and was very pleased with how that turned out. Talk about easy and delicious and many options for enhancing it. This is a real winner and one I think you will enjoy.


Seaweed snacks are back at our house for the iodine. I will explain why in my next post.


Lunch was Egyptian flavored fava beans over quinoa (not very Egyptian but a good source of protein). 

Dan came home early from work today since he had an upset stomach. It is nothing serious he just wasn’t feeling right and it worried me since he never complains. However after being home for a while and relaxing was just what he needed. He is doing much better now. *whew* Now I can relax.

I had a great call this evening with Janet who is helping me to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. Who knows maybe I will figure it out before I am too old to put my ideas into action. *fingers crossed* Only time will tell.


Dinner was a fast curried "cream" of carrot soup made in the Vitamix. In case you hadn't noticed I love that machine.

After I get this posted I am making homemade chocolate dipped marshmallows for a friend. I won’t be blogging that since the recipe isn’t vegan. If any of you want the recipe please email me at veganepicurean@gmail.com and I will be happy to share it with you. Homemade marshmallows are very easy to make and delicious though neither good for you nor vegan.  When we were omnivores I made marshmallows every Christmas instead of cookies.  No sugar fiends in my circle of friends.  The chocolate dipped espresso marshmallows were always very popular. Sugar, caffeine and chocolate no wonder they were addictive.  LOL, see I am not kidding when I tell you that I haven't always been so health conscious.  ;-)

Happy thoughts:

• Overall I had a great day today. I got a number of things crossed off my to-do list which always makes me happy. It feels good to be productive.

• I enjoyed chatting with my friend Joy today about food that travels well without refrigeration. That conversation gave me some ideas of things to experiment with for Dan to take with him when he has to go somewhere for work. I will be detailing that in a future post.  I needed food ideas for when Dan has to go out of town for work but somehow when Joy asked the question I was able to come up with ideas more easily. I think talking to another woman was the secret.  ;-)

• I am thankful that my schedule is returning to normal. It is nice to have a little time to myself again.  Today I had a few minutes to kick back during the afternoon and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Today I started listening to “Veganist” the book on CD. I finished the first and second CDs today while doing other things around the house. I didn’t know what to expect but so far it is better than I thought it would be. When I get finished listening to it I will write a proper review.  I still have 6 CDs to go so it may be a few days before I am done.

• We are more than half way to the weekend. *happy dance* I love my weekends and hope we have good weather again this weekend so that we can take our bikes out for a long ride and maybe a picnic. Doesn’t that sound like fun?

Signing Out:

It is time to make the marshmallows, literally. They need to cure overnight before I can cut them and dip them in chocolate. After that it is time for us to start winding down.

I hope you had a great Wednesday. Talk to you again tomorrow. Good night!

4 comments:

  1. I just bought some roasted seeweed at Trader Joe's and have been afraid to try it. I even took a picture of it and am going to solicit thoughts on blog or Facebook. do you like it - do you eat it plain - do you eat it on salads? :)

    Lolly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lolly,

    I love the roasted seaweed snacks actually. I eat them like chips, straight out of the package. Dan describes them as salty and fishy. If you like the taste of nori then you should like them. They are a great soure of iodine which is why I bought them. You can cut them up and add them to salad, or put them in your sandwiches like lettuce I suppose.

    I hope that helped,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, I was just thinking about Iodine and that I might have a deficiency, and wondering about Vegan sources.

    You are a wealth of information. I think in my googling, I saw something about Selenium improving processing do you know anything about this??

    Again, thank-you for all the information. Your blog is helpful and informative :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan,

    Sorry for the delay in responding I was swamped today.

    I haven't seen anything about selenium and iodine, but if I do I will let you know. Goitrogens can inhibit iodine absorption if you are deficient. However since goitrogens are generally deactivated by cooking so they aren't a big issue. The RDA for women is 150mcg per day (not much). You can also get iodine from dulse granules (which is a salt substitute made from pulverized seaweed).

    If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails