Thursday, June 30, 2011

Pasta with Raw Sauce


Guess who has been too busy to do much cooking lately? Yep, it would be me. There has been a lot of activity surrounding the sailboat and when you add that to an already hectic life something has to give. We have been eating things like green smoothies, strawberry/banana soft serve, oatmeal, black bean soup, cold veg and grain salads and fruit bowls.

Wednesday night Dan and I watched a sailing video. We both thought a refresher was in order and I will admit we needed to do that. However sailing seems to be like riding a bike and things are coming back to us quickly. Good thing huh? ;-)

Since I had not made pasta for dinner in ages I thought that would be a nice treat. While the whole wheat pasta cooked I made the sauce which is very simple and fast. This is a sauce I have made for years even before we were vegan.

Take a regular onion (not the huge ones from Costco), peel it and then thinly slice it on a mandoline. Place the onion in a bowl large enough to hold the pasta and sauce. Add some wine vinegar on top of the onion (about 2 – 3 tablespoons) and toss the onion in the vinegar. Now add some crushed red pepper flakes, dried oregano, and black pepper. Grate or finely mince two cloves of garlic. Chop two to three large tomatoes and add those to the bowl as well. Toss to coat everything and taste for seasoning. When the pasta is cooked (I made about 1/2 pound so we had leftovers for Dan's lunch) add it to the raw sauce. I also julienned a big handful of fresh basil and added that to the dish. Simple, delicious and ready in the time it took to cook the pasta. This is definitely fast food my way. ;-)

Thank you!:

I wanted to let you know how much I appreciate the breakfast suggestions. Since I rely so heavily on my Vitamix I was a bit stumped on what we were going to do on the boat. Hopefully making smoothies at home and freezing them will work well but in case it doesn’t... I really wanted a back-up plan. I loved the creative ideas you provided. My head is spinning with variations on your suggestions which I will share as I make them.

On the breakfast front I am making another batch of no-sugar no-oil granola today. I am hoping the third time is the charm and that I will be ready to share that recipe very soon. Keep your fingers crossed that I get the spices and sweetness right this time. :-)

Happy thoughts:

Wow, what a week we are having. Don’t misunderstand that wasn’t meant in a bad way. Things are crazy here at the moment because of the addition of the sailboat activity.

• Both Dan and I are thrilled with everything that Island Dreams is doing to coordinate the work on the boat. Every time we see a new round of pictures she is looking more beautiful. :-) If you ever find yourself in Grenada on a boat you need to look these guys up. Not only are they efficient and professional but very nice as well. We are very fortunate to have found them thanks to our surveyor Robert Goodchild. As you can tell everything is going well with the boat and we are both ecstatic.

• Thursday is going to be a relaxing day at my house. At least that is what I have planned at the moment, we will see if life agrees with me. *fingers crossed* I would like a little down time before the weekend.

• I haven’t even thought about what we are going to do for the Fourth of July weekend. However I am very much looking forward to long weekend with my sweetie. Whatever we do I am sure it will be great. Maybe some time on the water is in order. I need to get some sun before the boat her since I am a little too pale at the moment.

• Our weather has been really pretty this week. There has been a little rain but mostly it has been fabulous. I need to get outside and enjoy some of this beautiful weather this morning before it starts to heat up. :-)

Signing Out:

I have a lot to do this morning so that I can get to my relaxing. If I stay on the computer it won’t get done. I hope you are having a fantastic week and I will talk to you again soon. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails